Friday, February 25, 2011

Name That Rat!

Mark wants to know what he should name his squirrel neighbor at his new house. Squirrel naming is such a personal thing; one must establish a rapport with the wild child; observe his habits and tendencies and then with his input, decide on a suitable moniker. My first one was Fuzzy Britches. I've had a pair of siblings called Jake and Elwood although Jake turned out to be a girl. Jake lost part of her tail in a run-in with a cat; I wrote a comment to Tammy about her. I had a runt named Shorty and a male with some red squirrel in him called Chester the Molester; he would screw anything and was named after a perverted Hustler comic character. Another was named Squirrel S Buck, after author Pearl S Buck. Another was Fatty Squirrelbuckle named after a famous silent movie comedian. Another was Momma; she seemed to be perpetually pregnant, and one of her kids was Little Bit; he would sit beside my chair and take peanuts from my fingers. Shorty II was a normal sized squirrel who had lost half its tail. Then there was Fatty, the boss-hoss of the squirrel neighborhood. She and Little Bit would come inside the house to eat but never at the same time. They always made a peanut mess on the floor and even peed on the carpet a time or two, but it was no big deal; Carolyn cleaned up after them.


A few months back I wrote about buying a new coffee maker. Carolyn decided she wanted a percolator so I ordered one from Amazon.com; It was the type that could be used with or without paper filters. She decided to use filters and we kept noticing the coffee was weak; at least I noticed it. We bought all kinds of different coffees and even upped the number of scoops from the recommended eight on up to eleven, but the joe was still watery. Yesterday, she finally decided on a new tactic; do away with the filters and go from a fine grind to a medium grind. Man, that was the strongest fresh coffee I ever drank; I could feel the hair growing on my chest. Today, she did the same thing with no filter and cut back on the scoops of beans to nine; it was perfect. Now I have my Colombian and a whole new outlook on life; I am an addict. I suppose I should grow a mullet.
----
Have a good weekend, dear ones.
----

No comments:

Blog Archive