Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Strolling

The weather is springlike today, blustery with flicking sunlight teasing angry clouds. When a sunbeam manages to find its way toward leaf-cluttered lawns, the light quality becomes fantastic for making photos. I long to be at my bathing spot as the air will be barely warm enough for a dip this afternoon, but I imagine the water is perversely chilly. Today must be lived.
----
If you have desire to use Photoshop for editing your work, Cyrus has announced online classes on Megashot; all you have to do is become a member of the site and join in the classes. I guarantee you will learn not only about software tools, but about photography in general. One thing everyone should know is how to use is 'layers" which most good quality editing programs provide the means to do. Learn to use layers to adjust many things on your photo and you will find that many shots you decided not to use because they were not good enough will all of a sudden take on new life and can become wall hangers.
----
Cyrus wants more people involved in the critiquing of member's photos. As I said before, the Critique Forum has become the most popular place on the site. However, I do not feel like I am qualified to do serious critiquing. I can do simple stuff like recognize when a photo is under-or-over exposed and other elementary things, but as I am only a snap-shooter, most of the photos in which others find flaws are fine with me. I don't like to become consumed with details such as color saturation or how a photo was  converted to grayscale; if it works, it works. Of course some of the best photographers in the world were and are sticklers for detail, the great Ansel Adams being one of them. Portrait and glamour photographers make a living by the details. Other accomplished shooters such as Weegee are just as apt to forgo perfection of detail to capture a moment or tell a story. I am not great by any means, but the art side of photography carries very little interest for me. I do enjoy looking at the art stuff, and at times I like to see if I can emulate some of it, but it isn't the path I chose to walk.
----
Have a Tuesday; live it, love it, and keep a piece of it in your heart ...
----


No comments:

Blog Archive