Monday, November 22, 2010

Denim

A beautiful, springlike day yesterday and it looks to be more of the same today. We had various family members in and out with my aunt and her daughter coming in late. The previous day cousin Sharon dropped off a netbook pc which had a bad "hard drive" and she wanted to know if I could retrieve some photos from it that had not been backed up. I think I could have saved some of the pics by booting into Linux from a memory stick; there are Linux distros highly suitable fro such. The pc is still under warranty and HP will replace the hard drive, but they want $350 to recover the contents. Corporate theft is what I call it. However, she needed the machine back yesterday and I didn't have time to do my Linux magic.
----
Carolyn made goulash for supper; yummy home made biscuits, too. Mashed taters would have been nice but she didn't have time to fix them.
----
Jola and Tammy mentioned jeans in their comments from yesterday's blog. I like wearing jeans, but when tragedy struck in the early 1980s, I decided it was time to try a new approach to keeping my dignity clothed. The tragedy was that American jeans became very popular in foreign countries, particularly in Japan. This caused the old capitalistic law of supply and demand to kick in and the prices soared. New York fashion designers soon caught on to the craze as did design houses in Paris, Rome, and London and that made the prices skyrocket. My jeans of choice were boot-cut Wranglers because their sizing fit my long legged, Adonis-like body better than did Levis or Lees and I had been used to paying around $6 for them. With the new popularity and by the time Reaganomics kicked in its extra toll, the price had gone to $24 each and I was officially out of the jeans buying business. My god, there were some awful designer jeans on the market and on people's asses. A bit of fancy trim on back pockets raised the price to $40 or more. The most terrible thing was some of the wearers that jumped aboard the "fashion" craze which went hand-in-hand with the resurgence of new-age country music and cowboy-hatted pretty boys. Let's face it and you can call me chauvinist if you like, some women's bodies were just not made for wearing jeans, and no jeans were ever made that would look good on these ladies. However, there were some women whom looked ok anyway they dressed but became appealing goddesses when they donned a pair of tight-fitting jeans. Another thing, jeans need to be worn and washed enough times to take on a "character", yet the fashion world changed things so often that jeans were worn two or three times and then tossed for a later model; they always looked new and mostly terrible. There was the "starched look", the "always new" look, the "stone-washed look", the "baggy look" and any other kind of looky-look that Madison Avenue ad men could conceive to keep sales high. The last of my jeans (probably the ones sweet Alice bought me for my birthday in 1981) were well worn and at last ragged-out and reduced to shorts which lasted several more summers into the 1990s.
----
Worsh Day!
----

No comments:

Blog Archive