Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nosy

A note about coal. When I was a little boy growing up in grandma's house, there were two sources of heat for the small dwelling. One was the kitchen stove where all the cooking was done and where water was heated for some of the clothes washing and bathing. It was a wood-burning stove in which kindling was lighted, then the main pieces of wood were used for cooking. However the main household heat came from a small, coal burning fireplace in the living room. Kindling was lighted and hunks of coal would begin to burn and and provide heat for several hours. The fireplace was fairly small and wasn't made for wood burning, but later on, slab wood* was about all my grandma used. When my mother died, I found receipts which my grandfather and grandmother kept and among them were ones for delivered coal; the price per ton was between $4 and $8. In the above photo, is my aunt Ivy (Iva) and behind her and to the right is grandma's coal pile. The pic was made in 1947. The photo has some more interesting things (to me) which I will describe later on.
----
I go back to the skin doctor this afternoon to have sentence passed on my guilty nose and find if it is to be treated as a felon or a simple misdemeanor. He will explain the results of the biopsy and tell me about my options. Hopefully, the place is not cancerous but he seems to think it may be such. If so, I will probably lose more nose than I would have otherwise. The mole-like lump is near my left cheek at the edge of the nostril. Aging sucks!
----
Thursday already?! Have a good one!
----


No comments:

Blog Archive