Wednesday, September 10, 2008


Camp site for Appy Trail hikers on The Roan


I am having a minor setback today, but I expected it. This malady seems to always run its course in the same fashion. Tomorrow will be great!
----
In yesterday's post, I mentioned the Allman Brothers Band, and Mark left a comment about them and other musicians, which immediately took me down memory lane. Back in the late seventies when I was doing concerts every month or so, I saw the all Charlie Daniels Band shows that came to town, and that was usually at least once and sometimes twice each year. He always had several other great acts with him.

I had attended concerts prior to this, the likes of The Four Seasons (twice), and Little Miss Dynamite, Brenda Lee. All were enjoyable. Until about 1968, I liked just about anything I heard except for some opera squalls and some bad country songs by even badder country singers. (I loved Hank Williams.)

I also liked the British invasion type stuff, along with my regulars like The Platters, Pete Fountain, Boots Randolph, Floyd Cramer, The Ventures, Ferrante and Teicher, and many many others. Then came The Byrds, CSNY, Buffalo Springfield and several other very good British and American groups, along with Hendrix and Joplin, two very influential blues musicians.

In 1976, my introduction to big time rock-&-roll concerts came via KISS, and I was hooked on the whole scene. From there until the early eighties, I attended every rock concert that came to town when I had the $7.50 for a ticket, and in those days there was a lot of talent that showed up here.
----
More tomorrow...

2 comments:

Mark said...

I see you have a wide variety of taste in music. It makes things much more enjoyable and keeps you young at heart.

Anonymous said...

I have a bit of a pecking order in my music likes. Electric guitar blues (SRV, etc), hard rock/blues mix (Hendrix, etc), southern rock (Allman, etc) old Delta blues (Robert Johnson, etc), heavy metal (Megadeth, etc) jazz, soft/ballad rock (REO, etc), very little country, and absolutely no rap.

Problem: All those loud concerts in the 70's have wasted my hearing, so now there are times tinnitus won't allow me to hear any of it.

Blog Archive