Thursday, April 12, 2007

Talking Heads

I told a friend yesterday that I'm a cynical person. Want to know why I'm distrustful?

Why did it take a full week for the
Imus show sponsors to jump ship? Are they so uncaring that they would have stayed with him if the negative things he said had not been so widely denounced by the people that do care?

It took them a week of hoping that it would go away before action was taken. Not only that, I don't believe that CBS would have discontinued the show if the sponsors had stayed aboard. NBC is still "weighing" the matter. Shame! It gives me the cold robbies.

What about the fence-straddling, talking-head politicians? Mr. Imus abuses them and they in turn use his show to further their careers and pad their pockets with ill gotten publicity and money? They don't care. Some, after "weighing" the matter*, will offer a token tongue lashing, but little else.

All of these people involved in this scandalous event, including the networks, sponsors, and politicians are just as guilty as the show's host and crew.

The people that listen to the disparaging remarks of Mr. Imus and his clones? I'd better keep my own mouth shut about that.

The best thing for all concerned is an apology from these sponsors and the networks, and Mr. Imus resigning from NBC and going to paid broadcasting.

I was raised to honor the "American Way", but if this is what it has come to, I've lost my respect for this institution.

*Weighing the matter means that anything thing that doesn't harm their aspirations is okay.

No comments:

Blog Archive