Thursday, July 19, 2007

One time, my old friend Fred and I were sitting at at a bar, carrying on our usual bull session. I had been having some family problems and was a little out of sorts. I started telling him some of the things that were troubling me, and asked his advice as to what he thought I ought to do. Fred turned up his beer can and drained it, hinting that he needed a new one. I got the barkeep's attention and ordered two more, expecting my friend to alleviate some of my problems with his excellent opinion. He looked to be in deep thought for a minute or so, then said to me, "It looks like you've got a family problem".

I sat still for a few moments, expecting more than the obvious, but Fred just looked at me, raised his eyebrows and shook his head, letting me know I had his sympathy, but he was not getting involved in anyone else's family business.

With no one else to turn to, I went about patching up my problems on my own, and it didn't take me long to do so. One or two got mad at me, and one or two got glad at me, but it made no difference either way because I did what I had to do, and everyone knew where I stood on the matter. Time, as it usually does, took care of everyone's feelings, and after a while, we were able to get together and be as normal a family as possible.

Later on, I told Fred that I appreciated him helping me with my problems. He knew that I meant it and replied, "Any time; now buy me a beer".

Family problems are something we all have, and sooner or later, we have to say enough is enough and do whatever it takes to remedy the state of affairs. Once the mind is settled to the fact that we've done everything we can do, we go to sleep and let time work its magic.

No comments:

Blog Archive