Monday, July 09, 2007

Back To The Island

Feeling better. I was really down sick yesterday. Very sore knees today, but I can live with it.

No takers on my dream from Friday night. I've been listening to some old 33s, and one was Back to the Island by Leon Russell, a song about a guy leaving his girlfriend to return to the tropic islands. I guess this is where my dream has its roots. It was a favorite song of my friends Brenda and Ken Moore. Fortunately, Brenda got to go to the islands before leaving us so prematurely.

Russell is one of the best writers of love songs that I've heard. He also did some country stuff under the name of Hank Wilson. I was lucky enough to see him in concert back in the late 70s when he opened for The Allman Brothers. Russell played and sang for more than an hour, then the Allmans came out and told the audience "We're going to play everything we know". They began about 8:30 pm and finished just before 1:00 am, with just two short breaks. It was one helluva night. Russell joined them for several songs and the encore. I missed work the next day.

No comments:

Blog Archive