Friday, May 10, 2013

Culinary tramping


They still make Squirt soft drinks. Squirt was never very popular in this area except as a mixer but I think they are the best citrus drink made. I haven't seen any in years but I bet the local night spots have them. I first came across the brand while tramping in West Virginia in 1970; it mixes well with bourbons and blended whiskeys.

Another brew I discovered in W.Va. was Stroh's beer. It is a Detroit beer and was more popular in West Virginia than was even the mighty Budweiser. Stroh's was an ok beer and actually much better than the bitter Bud but I will stick to my Miller High Life. A couple of brews I first tried in Pennsylvania were Rolling Rock and Iron City beers. I liked Iron City ok, but Rolling Rock's taste reminded me of how cow pee smells. My mother-in-law liked it.

I enjoyed my time tramping--except in Georgia--and could have liked living about anywhere I went with little problem. Southern Maryland was too far from the hills and I once spent 70 days straight there. They had great, fresh sea food and the best root beer I've ever bought. Still don't make up for the lack of tall oak trees on a high ridge, though.

Mark is going to have one of his photos of his house seen nationwide. Bravo television will be using it in a documentary film. Congratulations, my friend.

Are you ready for the weekend?

No comments:

Blog Archive