Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter rambles

Headtown House
The tradition of celebrating Easter (East; Eastern) is at least 2,000 years older than the Christian days of remembrance. People of Babylon went to the hilltops at sunrise to worship the rising sun. Christians copied the special day and time to commemorate the rising Son.
----
The above photo was made nearly 54 years ago; it is the first and only house my mom and dad owned, although it was rebuilt into a three bedroom abode after it partially burned in 1965. It was located across the country road from my grandmother's house. My Dad, along with slave labor from my uncle Roy and my 12 year old self, built this small, two bedroom home with his bare hands. He dug the foundation trench by hand, mixed and poured the foundation concrete by hand, laid the cement blocks by himself, and did most of the other work. The only time he asked for help was when he absolutely needed it. He hired professionals to lay the stonework on the front, and had to have extra help hoisting the main beam across the front, but other than that, it was mostly the three of us. Actually, it was mostly the two of them as my dad considered me as being too young and incompetent, and I was too precious to be allowed to do any climbing by my mom. The photo was made just after we moved into the house but it was nowhere near completely finished inside or outside. The car is a 1951 Oldsmobile; it is the car I first began to learn to drive.
----
Today's Frank and Ernest comic strip.
----
Have a relaxing weekend, my dears.

No comments:

Blog Archive