Wednesday, March 06, 2013

The comets are coming

Sunset

Snow; at least it had the decency to lay on the ground this time. Supposed to be 66°F (18.9C) by this weekend. If so, I will do a springtime Irish jig while on my crutches!

We should have a good year for naked-eye comets if you like such things and no one likes them more than I. Early next week should be good viewing of comet Pan-STARRS in the Northern Hemisphere. View west just after sunset and it should be easily visible. To add to my boyish excitement, comet ISON should be about as bright as the moon as it sweeps by the sun and earth in November. I’ve seen a few comets in my days (nights) but ISON should be the best one yet. November is the time for the Leonid meteor shower, also. However, it will peak during full moon and won’t be as spectacular as it sometimes is. Nothing arouses my senses of wondering and humility as does the night sky.

Photo is from the community where I grew up. There are only four of the old homes being lived in. This abandoned one was the Rome Sifford house; I used to sit on the front porch here and listen to school-day stories from the early 1900′s.

Have a good Wednesday, y’all!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Wonderful photo of the Sifford home. Looks like a lovely setting... cabin in the woods ... serene, surreal!
Thanks for the comet info.

Anonymous said...

Sifford's was the only house on our road that never had indoor plumbing by 1980.
Thanks, Maggie. :-)

Blog Archive