Friday, December 13, 2013

Shiny tinsel

Old time Christmas card
My first Christmas which I can remember is one where I overturned the Christmas tree. I was probably three or four years old and my uncles had gone into the fields and brought back the top out of a red cedar tree. It was as tall as our ceiling and I remember it was decorated with glittery tinsel and shiny red and green cellophane garlands which were common in those days. It also had colored lights on it that were fairly good size and got hot enough to burn a little boy’s skin when he grabbed hold of one. The bulbs were all the time burning out and my mom kept a supply of replacements on hand. Flashing lights were unheard of in homes unless the people were filthy rich. I recall that one day after a few presents had appeared beneath the tree that I could not stay away from it. I was warned many times about messing with the tree but most of the admonishments bounced off my ears and I was soon deep under the branches looking at the pretty paper on the packages. Sure enough I made a wrong move and the entire tree with ornaments, decorations, lights, and glittery tinsel tumbled over. I was unhurt but scared of consequences such as being listed as naughty by Santa and not getting any presents on Christmas or by getting a spanking. Naturally I began crying and my mother came in and scolded me which made me cry worse and soon she was hugging me and wiping away tears. Yep, I owned her. She made me sit in a chair while she and my uncles returned the the tree to upright and redid the decorations, including lots more shiny tinsel. I had sense enough not to mess with the tree anymore and my family had sense enough not to put any more wrapped packages under it until Santa Claus came. Neither of us wanted to get the jolly old elf putting coal in our stockings. I don’t recall any of the presents and toys I received that year or most other of my young years however I am sure that being the spoiled only child I got well more than my share.



My mom used to read me this story several time before Christmas each year. It is very possible it was from the same book which is used here because I seem to remember some of these illustrations.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Blog Archive