Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rolling on the River of Time

Not much happening on the home front. The boys are growing faster than I dreamed they could. Seems like my grand kids were babies forever. Well, they will always be our babies.

I have missed several birthdays and anniversaries in the past ten days. The 19th was the anniversary of of my late friend’s birth; Happy Birthday, Fred. That same day was Fred’s and Alice’s wedding anniversary and it was also their daughter’s—Vanessa— birthday. Happy Birthday, Vanessa. Happy Birthday to my Bride who was born on the twentieth.

Tree leaves, like the season itself, are slowly changing color. Tulip poplars in my yard are turning bright yellow and brown.

The knee is coming along slowly and the angle to being straight is minus twelve degrees. The therapists are now going to work the knee until I reach my maximum pain threshold. That should get the leg close to zero degrees within a few weeks. I hope to be walking a bit with a cane by Christmas. They have me doing more exercise at home; it is time consuming and sometimes exhausting but I need much more leg strength and overall endurance. I have been off narcotic pain pills for a week; I didn’t use one before rehab yesterday. I may try to drive the Escape in about another week.

After rehab yesterday, we ordered take-out cheeseburgers from The Cottage. It was about 5:30 pm and I was able to see and talk with some of my pals from the days when I was a very frequent visitor to the drinking and dining delights of the place. It did my heart good to see these guys and shake their hands. It was only a minute before the old days were brought up and lost memories came back for me. Sony, Wayne, Mike, and Phil: I was happy to see y’all once more. Bill would have been there but like myself, he is recovering from knee replacement surgery. I cannot understand why they have aged so much but I am still the same as i was in 1985. I was a regular at The Cottage from 1974 until the mid nineteen-nineties.

I am now going to check the TV and see if my Tennessee Vols will be shown. The team they play today is no match for them but I still gotta watch if they are on.

No comments:

Blog Archive