Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Fe-fi-fo-fum


December nears and I still haven’t seen a snow flake for this winter season. Suits me fine. Skies are gray and threatening but fortunately it is a bit too warm to snow.

Hope this Jack and the Beanstalk type movie turns out to be at least decent. I like giants  now but at one time I feared them. When I was a small boy living at grandma’s house there was a giant lived in the community. Charlie Malone once ran a sawmill at the corner of our road and Boones Creek Road. When he had no more room to make huge piles of sawdust, he closed down and moved on to another site. However, when he left, the giant moved in. I never did figure out just where the giant was living under the sawdust but I do know he was there and that he was big and hairy and ugly. Many times after I went to sleep at night, I would walk down the hill to play in the sawdust and as soon as I became immersed in my doings, the giant would suddenly appear, reaching for me and roaring with all his might. I was always able to get away from him and run to the safety of home but he has remained with me all my life. After I got a bit older, I stopped dreaming about him and began playing in the sawdust a lot with other local boys but I never did stop believing that somewhere beneath the piles the giant was waiting for me. Even after the sawdust caught fire and burned away, I could shut my eyes and see the reaching, gnarly hand of the big man.

Have a Tuesday!

No comments:

Blog Archive