Friday, October 07, 2011


Around four decades ago, hardhats--my union brethren--attacked peaceful Vietnam War protestors in NYC; I was appalled and ashamed of my union membership. The marchers were also protesting the Kent State Massacre but the construction workers applauded the Nixon/neo-Nazi Army National Guard for killing the students. Now that the shoe is on the other foot and the union construction industry is in decline and organized labor has all but lost its political influence, they seem to be siding with the Occupy Wall Street movement. Obviously many non-trade unions are supporting the cause, too. My my, hey hey, rock 'n' roll is here to stay!
----
If the movement can coalesce, it can turn into something which can change the world. I listened to some of the participants of Occupy Wall Street yesterday, and just all about the people interviewed were protesting for different reasons. That is ok, but I think they need a catchall purpose with strong organizational leadership to make the movement work; if not, I fear many of the splinter protestors will become disillusioned and go home.
----
Obama and Biden are giving political lip service to the protests, and Biden even sounds a bit sincere, but until I hear a sincere apology for T.A.R.P. and the damage it has caused for everyday Americans, they may all take a flying fuck at the moon. Even hillbilly I am smart enough to know there is no sincerity in candidate's rhetoric.
----
Congratulations to Tawakkul Karman, Ellen Johnson Sirlea, and Leymah Gbowee for sharing this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
----
Title quote by Dwight D. Eisenhower
----
Have a great weekend!
----

No comments:

Blog Archive